A portrait collects a wealth of information about an organization in one place - from vision and impact to governance and finances. GiveRichmond was created, in part, to provide greater transparency about our local nonprofit sector so that donors can make smart, informed giving decisions.
To begin your research, search by interest area or view all nonprofits with a portrait.
Once you have selected a nonprofit, you will be taken to their portrait. The following are some of the questions you may want to consider. The sections below correspond to a tab within the portrait.
Mission & Areas Served
- Background Statement
What is the history of this organization?
- Impact Statement
Where does this organization work and how is it having an impact on that community?
- Needs Statement
What does this organization need to more effectively deliver on its mission?
- What programs and/or services is this organization providing?
- What kind of impact are these programs having? How is success measured?
- Is the staff of this organization reflective of the communities it serves?
- Are the necessary business practices in place for this organization to plan for the future and operate in a responsible and effective manner?
- Is this organization reaching beyond its own walls and working in partnership with others to deliver on its mission?
- How active and engaged is this organization’s board?
- Is the composition of the board reflective of the population that the organization serves?
- Are appropriate practices in place to support responsible and effective governance?
- Is the organization solvent?
- Does the organization rely on a single or small group of funders and donors, or does it have diversified sources of revenue?
- Does the organization have a line of credit or an endowment?
- Please note: the Notes Section within the Financial Tab provides additional information that may not be immediately evident in the charts and graphs provided.